From GK Ben Briggs: After we attended orientation at the Oak City Outreach Center, Brother Vazquez and I came away with a new understanding and appreciation for the work done by the organization. Here are the key impressions we received:
- We will not be doling out food. We are Volunteer Hosts.
- Our job is to help the guests get their food to their table, keep the center clean and make sure that any paper plates and napkins from the center are cleared from Moore Square.
- Our main focus is to provide fellowship to the guests by smiling and engaging in conversation should they wish to talk.
- We will not provide money, bus cards, or phones to the guests just warmth and and to channel the love of God for all.
- The key is to treat everyone, guests other volunteers and staff with respect and dignity.
- Children age 9 and up are allowed to volunteer as long as a parent is with them.
If you are interested in participating in truly being the “hands and heart of Jesus” to those less fortunate than us, please email me directly so I can have an idea of how many people will participate in order to coordinate a once monthly time (probably Saturdays from 10:30 – 1:30) with the staff at the center. Currently, we’re looking at going the 2nd Saturday. Teams will consist of 5-6 volunteers. Depending on number of volunteers you may not need to go every month. We’d like to start in March so a timely response will be great.
Ben M. Briggs, II
Grand Knight Council 9880
St Raphael Catholic Church